Wednesday, April 24, 2013

wondering about words


wondering about words and where they’ve gone

about the bridge that words built between us

wondering why the words have grown quiet and still

and how their meaning has gotten thin

wondering that maybe I said a word wrong

my pronunciation a stutter at best

wondering if the words were scratching your ears

and left them itchy and raw

wondering if words are just talking

about someone or something else

wondering if my words just fell flat on the floor

that’s kind of how it felt

wondering if the words are like speed bumps

that constantly slow us down

wondering if maybe we pause for each one

it won’t seem like such a disruption

wondering if maybe it’s not about words

but that was all there was

wondering and missing the sound of the words

and still getting lost in my own

wondering if that bridge is broken

maybe split directly in two

wondering if words can be threaded together

to connect the two sides again

1 comment:

  1. You are an incredible writer. I always connect instantly to your poems and they engage me from the first word to the very last. Brilliant, brilliant poem. Loved it. Made me feel, made me think, made me reflect.

    ReplyDelete