Monday, April 29, 2013

The Quilt




Last night I awoke at 3 am

cold and all alone.

I got up and found the quilt that you made

and brought it back to bed.

I wrapped myself up in its warm embrace

and pretended it was your arms.

I know it’s crazy but at 3 am

who’s rational anyway?

It took you 2 years to make this quilt

working while I wasn’t home.

Stitching your heart into every seam

I still can feel that now.

You always said I was the hardest person

to buy a gift for.

Well, that was true and this was the best gift

you ever gave to me.

So I laid there for a while

until I fell back into sleep.

I dreamt of you as I so often do

I miss that smile on your face.

This morning I am listening to the rain

and it’s quiet steady song.

It feels like the tears I can no longer cry

yet I still can’t seem to move on.

On Valentine’s Day I told you I missed you

and that I hoped you’d found happiness.

You said thank you and hoped that I had too

this was the best end to us.

I can’t forget all the dreams that we shared

and I just can’t let them go.

Despite all the was wrong between us

I still feel moments like this.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. So moving. I can feel the sadness of loss in your words. A beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete