Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Serenity


wondering if I can run

faster than the voices in my head

feeling the pulsing and pounding

and my heartbeat quickens as well

I am trying to slow things down

trying to let my breathing become even

trying to let this churning feeling

settle into a quiet hum

there was a poke, skin pricked

a scratch under the surface

and now the wound is festering

infection trying to set in

I step outside into the rain

arms and legs bare

and I begin to move with intent

one step at a time

at first cold muscles start to scream

as the aching needs to be heard

my lungs choke on the chill in the air

but I breathe through the burning in my chest

slow and measured steps

breath finding time with the pace

each footfall pushing forward

propelling me from this place

it’s easy to just drop anchor

and hunker down in the cold

wrapped in cloaks of comforting warmth

as you spiral down the hole

but stripped half naked and soaked

as I run for my life through the rain

I can’t tell the difference between raindrops and tears

they feel one and the same

the sound of the rain is following me

like footsteps on this path

and the feeling that I am not out here alone

creeps slowly up my back

I look to the sky, the rain on my face

and I feel the words pass my lips

God, grant me the serenity

to accept what I cannot change

No comments:

Post a Comment