Thursday, February 28, 2013

Who I Really Am


Is there room enough here for all of us

the many faces of me?

They don’t know how to coexist

and it seems one is always lost in the dark.

There is one, the poet, the dreamer the fool

with the innocent heart of a child.

She believes in dreams and fairy tales

and that her words will someday be heard.

Then there is practical, everyday me

the one who gets the job done.

She tends and cares and fixes and heals

she has nothing left for herself.

The new me that has come to life

is one I’ve not known before.

She is healthy and strong and pushing her limits

focused solely on herself.

I like this me, though I have to admit,

I don’t know her very well.

She is careful not to let anyone in

for fear they may knock her down.

She is fragile though appears quite strong

in function and in form.

Building her body from the inside out

to allow herself to stand strong.

She is new like the dawn and quiet

as the dawn becomes the day.

It’s hard not to lose her in the hustle and bustle

as life sets forth its demands.

I am fighting for her, I’d like her to stay,

like to get to know her well.

I know she so much to teach me

about who I really am. 

 

1 comment:

  1. i love this poem, it describes feelings i've often had too... and the idea of "Building her body from the inside out" - yeah, i like that

    ReplyDelete