Thursday, October 3, 2013

Solitude Sometimes Wins


it won’t always be like this

I know, I understand.

but it feels like this right now

and this is the moment I’m in.

with water flowing down my back

and tears pouring down my face.

I knelt on the shower floor

and let it all come out.

exhaustion and stress

a paralyzing blend.

of sensations that kill creativity

and leave me standing still.

I don’t have a moment to breathe right now

to exhale away the day.

from the moment it starts all eyes on me

and there is no refuge for me to hide.

there are no moments to sit and reflect

to let words float around in my mind.

no time to sit and stare at the trees

and let them sing to me.

this might not be important to those

who don’t live and breathe words.

but for those who do, you understand

it feels like a silent death.

last night I dreamt a story

that I wanted so badly to write.

but with dawn and the alarm and the inevitable day

I felt the words crawl away.

I dreamt of a friend I had found

who understood the words.

the meaning hidden in the rhythm

and the cadence of the song.

I dreamt that she came to my doorstep

and sat in the middle of the floor.

surrounded by books, piles of them

and waited patiently for me.

the irony in the dream was that I had run

and sat in front of her door.

needing the solace and consolation

of one who understands.

so while I sat, waiting for her

and she sat waiting for me.

the alarm rang and took that dream

but the message wasn’t lost.

in the shower it hit me full force

and flowed out with my tears.

I did have someone who understood

she just wasn’t standing here.

she listens though, and hears

and through words reaches me.

I just haven’t had the time to hear

and the solitude sometimes wins.

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. This hopefully was a moment where not only did your hands wipe the tears from your eyes but wrapped your arms around yourself in a moment of realization that in this world we must embrace ourselves, love ourselves and let the water role off our shoulders.

    Gracias for sharing, opening up, for I think I feel your lament that causes your tears. I too have felt the hard tile pressed against my knees in the shower

    I think your friend, your muse is waiting just outside your door

    Gracias mi amiga

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing when I hang on every word like this. You have incredible passion, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete