Saturday, October 22, 2011

Telling Stories

I keep trying to write these words,
to make them beautiful and poetic.
I'm trying to hide within the metaphor
or behind the guise of simile
to create a tale of the hollow withered aching soul 
that is dying of a broken heart.
I want to create the illusion this is a story 
oryou a poem, or some other work of fiction.
I want  to read it and find pain in the tale,
in the misery of the longing.
I want you to appreciate the commitment
of the dedication that this weary soul has laid forth
for the one whose heart it desires.
I want your compassion and empathy
to pour themselves over the bleeding wounds
of this character I have described.
I want to see your heart melt for the subject
and the storyline as I unfold this tale for you.
I want you to lose yourself in the magic of the words I use 
and the emotions I can conjure.
I want to see your tears fall for the simple fact
that this, in reality, could happen to anyone.
I want to move and touch you 
and tear at the strings of your heart
with a story so powerful that you know it must be true.
I want you to fall to your knees in utter frustration
for the way that this story will end.
I want you to scream ultimately how unfair this all is 
and how justice must be served.
I want to leave you spent, exhausted by the depth and intensity
of the experience you have just survived.
I want you to be exposed
so that I can reach into the deepest part of your heart
and touch you from within.
I want you laid bare before me.
I want you to hear my story.

8 comments:

  1. a heart-felt and emotive write. lovely, but tinged with some pain (which is alright because this is what poetry is all about sometimes). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think one of the key things we all want is to be heard...and have others hear our story...and love us regardless...smiles...moving piece...

    ReplyDelete
  3. we want to touch others with our writing...want to be heard..felt and understood...that's why we talk..face to face, in songs or poetry...yeah...def. hearing you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh u summed up perfectly the desire of all artists to reach out and make a difference in their audience. And believe me everyone wants to be transformed. Thank u for expressing this so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh please i hope it doesn't end so sadly
    yes powerful poem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love this!! I understand all of this and where you are coming from. I think most of us have these thoughts when writing.

    ReplyDelete