Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Them


For two nights in a row
I have seen you watching me
Standing in a darkened hall
a few short yards away
The first night it startled me
as I peered into the darkness
I raised my hand and reached out
but you simply disappeared
Last night as the band
fed energy into the room
The time came for the clock to strike
and the past to become a beginning
The bells tolled and the room filled
with hugs and the repeating of happy
Happy new, happy start,
as tomorrow became today
Amidst hugs and expressions of love
pairs became joined as one
Music guiding the unions
motion growing from the still
He reached out to ‘him’
in the grasp of her arms
She held ‘her’ close
in the warmth of him
There was a pause in time
and for a moment I felt you
I felt the life
I felt the breath you no longer breathe
The sound of the room funneled
through my ears and into me
A vacuum created
inhaling all that has slipped away
I remembered everything for a moment
I felt everything again
This one is ours, was whispered
let’s dance this one for them…


Rarely in life do we know, when we meet someone, the role they will play in our lives. Sometimes, there are brief moments, flashes, things that stay with you only for a time and sometimes we know souls for a lifetime. Last night I rang in the new year with old and new friends, some of whom have changed my life and some of whom I think will.

  This piece describes a moment shared between two people who are grieving the loss of their loves and in this moment, however brief, they were all there together. In that moment they could touch the past and fondly remember as the hope and possibility of the future came with the arrival of the new year. 

This was a moment that brought healing.  ~ ~ ~





No comments:

Post a Comment