Thursday, January 3, 2019

the end...



*Sometimes, even though the truth is all you need
it can become the worst thing you've ever heard*


No shock or disbelief
only the simple silence
of your dying a second death
There is a grinding wail erupting
from the deepest part of my soul
and a pain I cannot dare to name
This is the end
the finality of you
the surrender of a dream
I believed too hard
too freely
with too much reckless abandon
I should’ve known better
and in many ways I did
I just wanted to dream
I wanted a fairy tale
I wanted to believe
That I had a chance
that it was my time
that you…
that you were real
But you were just an illusion
a story made up
the plot line and characters
pulled from the tales of my broken heart
You were manifested
out of the emptiness of my need
and you fed me
and fed me
like a lamb to the slaughter
I do not claim innocence
far from it indeed
My ego devoured
the scraps, the crumbs,
and when it was offered,
a table lush and full
To be wanted by you
was nothing short of ecstasy
And to want you
was ever and deeper still
And now to find
that there was no you
that you were just and extension of me
is, in a word, sobering
I think back now over memories
over intimacies that I cannot speak of
I weaved every part of you
into the very fabric of me
But there is no you
and the frayed threads
are unraveling
Threatening to weaken the structure
of what once made me whole
As tears begin slicing holes into the weave
as sunlight pierces the darkness of the cloak
I look down at the glistening blade wrapped in my fist
and I realize that I
am severing the ties
That I am lashing wildly
with the intent to connect
and rip all of this to shreds
I am sickened at the sight
of the weave
so carefully threaded by my hand
I am saddened in a way that I have never been
in the clarity of what I now see
I am shattering so deep inside myself
that my legs barely hold my weight
And I am freezing
as I have been stripped bare
by all that I gave away

My mind swirls
wondering
trying to comprehend
These words as they are laid out before me
telling me things I always feared
but just could not believe
Even now
in the stark reality of this moment
my tiny, timid heart
wants to run away and die
But I sit here surrounded by love
by protection, by strength
I am safe
The sickness still lingers
like rain falling over my leaves
The residue that it leaves in its wake
flooding over me

Your actions were simply unspeakable
unfathomable to a sane heart and mind
I will never be able to understand
so with this I let you go





No comments:

Post a Comment