Saturday, January 4, 2020

Vulnerable


unguarded, susceptible

open, naked

of, or pertaining to,

being vulnerable

there is nothing between us

but skin

the largest organ on the body

it’s only purpose, to protect

the thing about skin, is this

not only does it cover muscle and bone

but it feels everything

every sensation touches the skin first

warmth or cold, hard or soft

the skin bears the weight

of a strike, with the same intensity

of a kiss or caress

skin is self-healing

it can be cut, ripped or torn

and thought it will show evidence of scars

it can regenerate to close a wound

to lie completely naked beside you

all protective layers peeled away

all manner of hiding insecurity

thrown in a heap on the floor

to strip away the barriers

the decorative layers

the ways that we fool ourselves

and everyone else

to lie beside you, breathing

as the surface of our skin connects

and to listen to the way

we allow our bodies to speak

is to become vulnerable

in the spotlight of your gaze

to open every door

that has ever kept me safe

to lie quietly as you let your fingers

become your every sense

as you touch me with the intensity

of one who cannot see

to sing to you

as you wrap yourself around me

lying your head against my back

to feel the vibrations of my soul

to lay my head on your shoulder

as I cling to you

and you hold me

as tears fall in rivers from my eyes

I have nothing to hide from you

nothing to fear

I want to be transparent in your gaze

I want to be completely laid bare

the vulnerability that once scared me to death

has become the thing that I crave

to be known and loved by you

has given me life again






No comments:

Post a Comment