Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Noise


it’s interesting to notice
the difference in how things sound
the way words bounce off walls
the way they ring in your ears
I know the way addiction sounds
I’ve written line after line 
I’ve assembled strings of words
describing how it feels to be bound  

the sound can be almost deafening
and some days it all goes black
the edges sharp and jagged
scraping against the skin
in the rivulets of pain
that flow from open wounds
streaming sanguine rivers
that simply trickle away
silence screams louder
than any sound ever could
through pacing and internal combustion
and skin that doesn’t fit




I’ve run so far and so fast
to keep the sounds at bay
I’ve run so long that I’ve forgotten
what the voices need to say
yesterday the words
came in short and fast clips
broken sentences abbreviated
language, a foreign thing
tears fueled by anger
by frustration, pain, angst
and the orchestra of cacophony
sang a song I know so well
the overwhelming feeling
of being sick of myself
ran like a loop through my mind
for the entire length of the day
short reprieves in love
and the kindness of strangers, now friends
softened the edges just enough
so the clock continued to move


digging deep into the muck
to climb up out of the mire
begging into the vast unknown
that I see what I need to see
with eyes swollen and burning
with a heart bleeding out on the floor
my knees becoming calloused
from humbling myself here
I am fighting for my life, it seems
a war I cannot lose
with an urgency the battles rage
my will screams in pain





with every victory, white flags wave
in the quiet aftermath
and I revel in the awe of the silence
and how different the calm sounds









No comments:

Post a Comment