Saturday, July 27, 2013

Missing Her


no sooner did I step off the plane

than I ran to sit at her feet.

to humble myself in her presence

to let her wash over me.

 
 

with the awe of a child I gaze at her

and listen to the sound of her voice.

the waves crashing one by one on the sand

no other sound compares to this.
 


 
 

I took off my shoes and let the sand

crawl between my toes.

I walked to the edge of the water

and let it tickle my skin.

it was like the feeling of a lover’s touch

after years of time apart.

I felt alive and renewed

everything in me woke up.

the sun, the sky, the sand, the sea

the home that I cannot find.

anywhere too far away from her

and I ache until she is near.

I walk the length of her shores

one foot in the sand, one in the sea.

the balance between the two

is tangible even now.
 
 
 

I drink in the beauty of this moment

like an addict getting a fix.

just a few days in her warm embrace

and I will be leaving her again.

she is home to me, she’s always been

I cannot stay away for too long.

and as another change looms in the distance

I let the feeling of her wash over me.

fearful of the distance that will come

between me and this love of mine.

the crashing waves seem to be saying

that they don’t want me to go.
 
 
 
 
FOR d'VERSE POETS

 

 


17 comments:

  1. and here is was feeling bad for you that you had to work on a saturday and you go rub it in that you spent time at the beach, leaving me jealous---smiles..i love her sounds and her rhythm and i would def sit at her feet, letting her wash mine as well...ha...

    last one before bed, good night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This reads like you've sprung from the head of Pablo Neruda. The line break, the pacing.. A good one to read and listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that made me sigh deep...i love the beach... such a soothing rhyhthm in her waves... love the closeness in this and her not wanting to let you go.. nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my..i loved it..simply loved to read and re-read and rejoice in the magic of your poetry~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ocean, I love this piece. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful words....lovely lines!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is beautiful. I have been away from the sea too long. Your words enhanced my longing to return. It is wonderful when that feeling of home washes over you....there is something about the waves, the sand, the ocean! You brought your feelings alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You describe so well your ache for the ocean and the wholeness you feel at its shore. It is certainly a beautiful place to be and brings up a kind of bigger picture -- lovely, thanks. This is Karin - http://Manicddaily.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i so loved this poem, so many lines i'd like to cite but this;

    I walk the length of her shores

    one foot in the sand, one in the sea.

    the balance between the two

    is tangible even now.

    seems very profound for you, at least this heart felt it that way. and the beautiful photograph breaks, reminders, hints and details further informing your poetry. lovely, lovely,lovely. *smiling*

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photos enhance the poem . Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So... I get the feeling you kind of enjoy the sea shore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the photos are so glorious...I can smell the ocean, feel the wind whipping up the white caps. If ever a place to worship, this is one. Simply gorgeous, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautifully written ~ I can identify with drinking in the moment of oneness and peacefulness in her presence ~ If only I live near the lake or river, but I don't ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey love that makes me want to go there I think I'll go tomorrow Love ya friend

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andrea, thanks for leaving a link at Sharp Little Pencil! This love song to the sea took me back to my years in Puerto Rico... a block from the beach. The addict needing a fix here, I guess! Truly lovely, the sense of awe and worship in this poem. Thanks, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have such an innate connection with water, the oceans especially. I saw a documentary once that theorized that, in biological evolution, we emerged from water onto land, AND THEN our lineage went back into water only to come out at a later time. Whether we can believe this or ever know it is besides the point. Rather, I sense there is something in us that truly WANTS to be in the ocean, that it is an ancestral home. Thanks for letting me digress...peace, Jason

    ReplyDelete